This afternoon, Town Officials and Emergency Operations Leaders met to discuss the progress of restoration efforts. Teams on the East End have about 10 side streets left to clear. Teams on the West End have about 1 mile left of La 1 and several side streets to clear. Grand Isle will be open to Residents and Property Owners on Friday, September 10 at 7am. There will be a check point where one must show proof of ownership and or residency.
We are without electricity, gas, and water. We are making progress on getting water to the island. In addition to our efforts, when you arrive on your property please turn your water meter off.
Grand Isle and Chienere are NOT IN ANY CONDITION TO PROVIDE ADEQUATE SERVICES TO THE COMMUNITY. IF YOU CHOOSE TO COME, YOU ARE COMING AT YOUR OWN RISK!
Reminders for ReEntry:
-DO NOT park on the highway. This causes extreme traffic jams and we are very limited on highway space.
-LOCATE YOUR WATER METER AND TURN IT OFF! This will help us with water pressure issue and get water flowing back to the island faster.
-Crews are still working on some of the roadways to remove debris so community will be restricted to go to property and stay. No traveling on the roads during working hours of 9am-6pm.
-Curfew is still in place. 7pm-7am.
• Encouraged to come by truck or suv with 4wd capabilities.
• Supplies will be provided on the island. We are working to set up a delivery system in order to minimize traffic on the roadways as there will still be much debris clean up taking place.
◦ We have NO GAS. Bring enough fuel to get you in and out of the area.
◦ We have NO Running WATER on the island. As a result, we have no means to assist with fire emergencies nor do we have septic to provide restroom accommodations. There will be portable toilets stationed in some areas.
-We have no electricity. If you chose to use a generator, read the user manual carefully and adhere to the safety procedures.
• We have limited EMS capabilities and 911 services are limited. You are coming at your own risk.
• There is still much debris all over the area including broken glass, wood with sharp nails, and dangerous metals. Bring a spare tire. Bring supplies to fix a punctured tire. Portable compressors and tire plugs. There are no services available on the island for you to fix in the instance of a breakdown. So be prepared in case of vehicle issues.
• IT IS EXTREMELY HOT during the day. With no electricity, we are asking you to hydrate appropriately and be mindful of the weather conditions. REMEMBER medical emergency services are VERY limited.
We are working as quickly as possible to get our community back. We appreciate your patience… We are in this together. #GrandIsleStrong