Today, Town Officials and Emergency Operations Leaders met to discuss the progress of restoration efforts. The grounds teams have been working to get LA 1 cleared and have made significant progress. The remainder of LA 1 that still needs to be cleared ranges from Ricky’s Motel to Grand Isle Suits. Now that most of LA 1 is clear, teams are working to clear side streets for safe access to properties. Once the side streets are accessible, we will allow limited access to residents and property owners. We will post updates as soon as we reach that point.
With the progress that has been made in Cheniere Caminada, we are moving the checkpoint to the Grand Isle Bridge which will allow for Residents and Property owners that are located on the Cheniere side of the bridge to have access to their properties. This will go into effect tomorrow 9/8/2021.
Grand Isle and Cheniere are NOT IN ANY CONDITION TO PROVIDE ADEQUATE SERVICES TO THE COMMUNITY. IF YOU CHOOSE TO COME, YOU ARE COMING AT YOUR OWN RISK!
Reminders for ReEntry (Cheniere Only at this time):
-LOCATE YOUR WATER METER AND TURN IT OFF!! This will help us with the water pressure issue and get water flowing back to the island faster.
-Crews are still working on some of the roadways to remove debris, so the community will be restricted to go to their property and stay there. No traveling on the roads during working hours of 9am-6pm.
-Curfew is still in place. 7pm-7am.
• Encouraged to come by truck or suv with 4wd capabilities.
• Supplies will NOT be provided on the island. And you will not be allowed to travel onto the island to get any supplies. Come prepared.
◦ We have NO GAS. Bring enough fuel to get you in and out of the area.
◦ We have NO Running WATER on the island. As a result, we have no means to assist with fire emergencies nor do we have septic to provide restroom accommodations. There will be portable toilets stationed in some areas.
-We have no electricity. If you chose to use a generator, read the user manual carefully and adhere to the safety procedures.
• We have limited EMS capabilities and 911 services are limited. You are coming at your own risk.
• There is still much debris all over the area including broken glass, wood with sharp nails, and dangerous metals. Bring a spare tire. Bring supplies to fix a punctured tire. Portable compressors and tire plugs. There are no services available on the island for you to fix in the instance of a breakdown. So be prepared in case of vehicle issues.
• We are not providing meals to individuals at this time so bring your own food and water. Once we have the roads easily accessible to all, we will bring down more food and supplies.
• IT IS EXTREMELY HOT during the day. With no electricity, we are asking you to hydrate appropriately and be mindful of the weather conditions. REMEMBER medical emergency services are VERY limited. You are coming at your own risk.
We are working as quickly as possible to get our community back.
We are in this together. #GrandIsleStrong